What is green and goes down your throat smooth?
A green smoothie, of course!
I can officially say this Chiropractor has gone green… smoothie wise. For the last 2 weeks I have been powering my body with super nutrients of green smoothies. I almost think it is like a fruity salad blended together, hold the dressing.
One might think these green smoothies sound gross, but they really aren’t. And, they have plenty of benefits. Here is my experience so far.
Benefits of Green Smoothies
Natural Weight Loss
Drinking a green smoothie is the best thing you can do to lose weight. Since drinking these green drinks, I’ve shed 5 pounds in 2 weeks! I am very close to the weight that I want to be at.
Green smoothies provide the nutrition, vitamins, minerals, healthy carbohydrates, fiber and whole food that you need to lose weight quickly, safely and effectively without starving yourself. I will keep you updated on my status regarding green smoothies and how my weight is being affected.
I have had many people tell me their awesome experiences consuming green smoothies. If you are game, give it a try for a couple of weeks, like I’ve done, and let me know how it went for you. The good and the bad.
Increased Consumption of Fruits and Vegetables (Particularly Greens)
The food guides recommend 5-9 servings of fruit and vegetables. Yeah, like we eat that much of it. With smoothies you can. I am. In my smoothies, I am very close to 5 servings of fruit and vegetables. With the other meals throughout the day, I’m over the top for servings of vegetables!
In this day and age, it is so easy to eat processed non-nutritional food (if you can call it that – “food”). However, with green smoothies, you can up your vegetable and fruit game by a lot!
Easy to eat… er drink
I was running out the door today and took 180 seconds to stuff some spinach, banana, frozen fruit and water into my blender. Blended it. And drank it. It was tasty, fast and super easy. I’m not saying you shouldn’t enjoy your food, but in a pinch, a green smoothie is an awesome nutritious fast food snack. Ready in seconds… a hundred and eighty of them!
Increased Fiber Intake
I do not like talking about what fiber does, however, yes, the fiber intake increase. Good colon health here. Fiber, keeping the colon clean so-to-speak.
Rich With Chlorophyll
I can honestly say that I feel like I have more energy, I’m more relaxed and I feel great! Green smoothies are rich with chlorophyll which some natural health experts say enhances the immune system, purifies the blood and rejuvenates the body.
So, smoothies all the time, right? No. I do believe we have teeth for a reason and chewing food, masticating, is essential for full proper digestion. Digestion starts in the mouth and I think there is actually a place for “eating” your food.
That being said, you were going to drink something anyways, right! Like your 8 glasses of water! Or is it more like 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning, a pop or two for lunch, a glass of wine or beer for supper and maybe another before bed.
A green smoothie a day really couldn’t hurt. Remember, it tastes better than what it looks like.
Here is what I found!
- I have lost weight because of drinking a green smoothie every day.
- The green smoothies tasted better than I thought. There is so much natural sugar in the fruit; I haven’t tasted the spinach, Swiss chard or kale, whichever I used.
- My kids like the green smoothies and actually ask for them.
- Green smoothies go purple when putting in red, blue or burgundy berries.
- I tried flax seed (1 tablespoon) with no taste affected.
- Green apples don’t do well for me in a green smoothie. There may be some fruits that won’t work with you, either. Take note of that.
- I hate washing a blender so at the moment I am using a Magic Bullet that, so far, is serving me well. I like that I only have to wash the blender part. The cup, you can drink from and even put on a lid, however, sometimes it is tough to fit everything you want in your smoothie into those little cups. A Nutri-bullet is bigger and more powerful, which has gotten good reviews. The grand-Daddy of them all, so I hear, is the vitamix. Check them out!
Whether you are going to try making green smoothies, already are or have in the past, let me know your experiences and maybe share a favourite recipe or two.
Until then, I’m going green!
My favourite recipe to date!
- fill 30-40% of the cup with greens (spinach, kale, Swiss Chard, etc)
- 1 banana
- 1 dollop of Greek yogurt
- frozen fruit or berries (or fresh)
- water (sometimes cut with juice)